OT: help with "local" rsync mirror

I am trying to set up a rsync mirror on my local server so I can update
several machines on my network.  I have successfully setup the mirror as well
as exported the mirror with nfs.  I can see the nfs mount on my local
machines just fine.  My problem is that apt is reporting this error (from the
local workstations):

Failed to fetch file:/mnt/kde2/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
   File not found
Failed to fetch file:/mnt/kde2/dists/potato/optional/binary-i386/Packages
   File not found
Failed to fetch file:/mnt/kde2/dists/potato/crypto/binary-i386/Packages
   File not found

My apt sources.list line on the workstations looks like this:
deb file:/mnt/kde2 potato main optional crypto

The nfs mount on the local machine looks like this:

user@workstation:~$ ls /mnt/kde2
beta  crypto  main  optional

The mirror on the server looks like this:

user@server:~$ ls /mirror/kde2
beta  crypto  main  optional

For some reason I'm not getting the dists directory.  I suspect that I have
incorrectly setup the rsync mirror.  Here is what I'm using to rsync the
mirror (slightly modified script from Joaquim Ortega-Cerda and Achim Bohnet,
thanks for posting that!):

Called from a cron job:
#!/bin/bash
#/usr/sbin/mirror_kde2

# declare variables
tdyc_mirror_root="/mirror/kde2/"
connection_up=`ifconfig | grep ppp0`

# function to do rsync stuff
do_rsync_function ()
{
  cd $tdyc_mirror_root
  exec rsync -az --delete --delete-excluded \
   --exclude source/ \
   --exclude incoming/ \
   --exclude changes/ \
   --exclude qt1apps/ \