Re: Installation from local files?

Well, another solution is this:
1) Download the modules that you want with rsync for example, I use this script:
---
#!/bin/sh

root=/home/ernesto/KDE_rsync/dists/potato

cd "$root"
exec rsync -v -az --delete --delete-excluded \
--exclude source/ \
--exclude incoming/ \
--exclude changes/ \
--exclude binary-alpha/ \
--exclude binary-m68k/ \
--exclude binary-sparc/ \
--exclude binary-powerpc/ \
kde.tdyc.com::kde/dists/potato/ .
---

2) Add to sources.list the line:

deb file:/home/ernesto/KDE_rsync potato main crypto beta

3) I usually use the dselect tool so you have to do an update

That's all. Hope this where usefull.
Greettings.
Ernesto.

        I've downloaded the KDE2 packages for potato (from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/2.0/distribution/deb/Debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/).
But as I'm new to Debian, I don't quite know what to do with them now...
I've messed around for a while with apt-get (a "Packages" file seems to
be missing), dselect and dpkg, to no avail :-(

dpkg -R /home/foo

should install all deb packages in the directory foo.
While I haven't tested it it should work according to dpkg --help
Alternate would be to install package by package with dpkg -i foo.deb
hunting for dependencies (ugh !) .
For apt or dselect you need to create the packages.gz file in the
directory.
You can do that with dpkg-scanpackages .

Also you can add the relevant line in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps

do an apt-get update

then to avoid redownloading all pacakges again just copy them from where
they are
to /var/cache/apt/archives
apt will check the dependencies and download only what you don't have
already.
But you have to do the update first so apt knows what those packages are
about.