Re: Unable to create io-slave: unknown protocol file

No, I don't have a partial woody. But the dist-upgrade was some time
ago. Maybe I should do one again, are the perl 5.6 problems solved?

As far as I know, the perl problems are woody-only, so a dist-upgrade from
stable shouldn't introduce this problem.

The thing that is really weird, is that it worked as soon I reverted from
kernel-2.4.0-test12 to kernel-2.2.17.
The packages for kde 2.0.1 were working flawlessly with the 2.4.0-testXX
kernel series.

I'm not a programmer and don't know a whole lot about io-slave processes, but I
do know the the 2.4 series of kernels has a completely different IP stack
system. This might be the root of your problem. I know when I did a dist-upgrade
on a gateway PC from slink to potato and it killed all the network stuff because
it didn't update the kernel, or didn't update the packages, I'm not sure which.
I just replaced the system with SmoothWall which is far superior to what I had
put together myself.

I'd recommend going back to the 2.4 series kernel. it should be ready for
release any year now : ).

Cheers,

     John Gay