Re: shutdown/reboot does not work any more

> I installed the newest kde2-packages for potato and now the shutdown
> and reboot buttons from kdm do not work any more. The X-server is
> terminated but kdm then hangs.
>
> This is the what kdm logs when called with -nodaemon after pressing
> shutdown:

aw shit - this is my fault (probably) ...
could you please provide more info? add "-debug 1" behind the "-nodaemon"
and send me the generated syslog, please.
however, this seems not to be a problem that can be solved using the
debug info ... i had semi-spontaneous (read: non-reproducible) crashes,
too. i guess, i messed up something in the gui.
maybe, a backtrace of the crash would help. but this is probably useless,
if the stuff is compiled without debug info. :( just try ...

i created a shell application (dummy kdm) called greetest to test the
dynamically loaded greeter, so if the crash is reproducible in the
test environment, this might help. however, the test program is not
compiled by default. it needs uncommenting two statements in the
Makefile.am and "make"ing the kdm directory. should i include the
program in the distribution by default? maybe, at least for the
beta-phase ...

i also cannot unload the greeter module, what is probably caused by
some static or not deleted object. so if somebody proficient with c++
is listening: please have a look at the source. relevant files are
kdebase/kdm/greeter/kgreeter.cpp and more or less the other files in
the directory. tia.

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.