Re: postinst bug in kdelibs and/or kdebase

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Thibaut Cousin wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I've had a problem for a few days : two days ago it was the postrm script
> of kdebase, yesterday and today it is the postinst script of kdelibs. Here is
> the message (translated from french, so it is not exact) :
>
> Setting up kdelibs3 (2.0-final-0.potato.10) ...
> Installing new version of configuration file /etc/kde2/charsets ...
> dpkg: error processing kdelibs3 (--configure):
>  the subprocess post-install script returned an output error 1
>
>   If I move kdelibs3.postinst from /var/lib/dpkg/info, the installation can
> be finished with no further problem. Then if I launch kdelibs3.postinst by
> hand ("./kdelibs3.postinst configure"), it works without problem...
>   Any idea ?

Its not really a bug in the postinst.  You see, dpkg keeps a database of
all the fies it has installed on your computer and which package they
belong to.  It has code to check that a package does not install a file
which belongs to another package.  During a release that code is turned
off, now it has been turned on again so dpkg gives error messages when
this happens.

The thing to do is to report to Ivan the file and the overlapping packages
it is in so when he does the next set he can make sure it appears in only
one package.

In the mean time, you can turn off this check yourself and install the
package manually by doing

$ dpkg --install --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3.deb

Because apt-get was unable to finish, you may have broken dependencies at
this point so you may have to do

$ dpkg --install --force-overwrite --force-depends /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3.deb

other dpkg options are explained in the man page.  When you have resolved
the packages with errors, re-run apt-get upgrade to properly install the
rest.

But whatever you do, do report these kind of problems to the package
maintainer.  Use of force-* options is not recommended on a regular basis.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>