Re: my recent builds

> I just finished builds on both my Debian and RedHat computers using today's
> CVS.  It has actually been two weeks since I built, and there were numerous
> changes including a new version of qt-copy (2.2.2).

I'm in the process of downloading 2.2.2 and building new qt packages for
both potato and woody.. I should have these done by tomorrow.

> Here are some "upstream" issues I found.
>
> (1) kaiman caused a crash (the panel disappeared and so did some borders,
> but I could get out of it with ctrl-alt-BS).  The next time I started it
> from the command line rather than from the multimedia K menu, and everthing
> worked fine (including the mp3 playing). In the month or so I have been
> playing mp3's with kaiman, I have never encountered this sort of instability
> before. So I will keep an eye on this one including more testing of the K
> menu.
>
> (2) kmid still does not work.  Same error message as for the last month
> or so...
>
> Those are the only issues I am aware of in my version of KDE2.
>
> Here are some things that worked.
>
> (1) kmidi works fine if you load sound fonts first.  AFAIK you can only
> load sound fonts for the SBLive if you are using the ALSA driver.

ack!  that would explain the probs I have (sblive)...

how do you load sound fonts?

> (2) help works without any of the problems that others have encountered on
> this list. For example, I can launch help without konqueror and konqueror
> comes right up with the help centre displayed.

I've noticed that it only works (on my sytems) the first time around...after
that you must already have a kfmclient loaded...

> I am actually building KDE2 on two separate computers (it requires 4 hours
> on the Athlon 600 and 17 hours on the pentium-133).  Since qt-copy had
> changed so radically I didn't try Ivan's Debian patch for it, but I may try
> that next week so that I hope to have both a debian build on the Debian
> potato system and traditional build on the RedHat system as a direct
> comparison for each other.

good point on the patch...  I'm not sure...the patch contains a bunch of
i18n updates that may or many not work with 2.2.2

> Ivan, that is a good start to the web site.  If you can give high priority
> to writing a cook book of exactly how to build the Debian version, I will
> test your instructions.

I'm working on that... :)  It's a high priority as I download the 50+megs
of updates + 8 megs of 2.2.2 qt and 12 megs of qt-embedded which I need
to build on 2 i386 systems (potato/woody) and a sparc woody system.

:)

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II