Re: Debian Jr. -- How are we doing?

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

> Please don't conflate a configuration mechanism (which users see
> which menus) with access control (unix groups).  It is confusing,
> provides no benefits, and wastes the limited number of groups to
> which a user can belong.
The benefit of using unix groups is that there is a defined set of tools
provided to handle user groups.  This makes life much easier.  Moreover
I do not know any *practical* limit of the number of groups which a user
can belong.

Moreover it might happen that we completely rethink because of the upcoming
new menu system which (hopefully soon) implements some roles mechanism
which is in fact better than our first attempt.

Kind regards

         Andreas.