Re: Gradle problems when building adql-java package

Hi Ole,

On 2023-12-08 13:03, Ole Streicher wrote:
I am trying to update the adql-java package to the newest upstream
(beta) version. As it is my first project using gradle, I sumbled upon a
number of problems:

One is that the plugin org.javacc.javacc is not available. I guess this
is because it is not packaged yet, right? My solution here is that I
call javacc in d/rules before running dh_auto_build; is this the way to
go?

After this, dh_auto_build completes, but the tests fail with

     > Could not resolve junit:junit:4.13.1.
       Required by:
           project :ADQLLib
        > No cached version of junit:junit:4.13.1 available for offline mode.

which is caused by

     dependencies {
         testImplementation 'junit:junit:4.13.1'
         testImplementation 'org.slf4j:slf4j-simple:1.7.25'
     }

in the main build.gradle (right?) junit4 is however a build dependency
(currently 4.13.2 in unstable). What should I do here? Are the versions
here minversions? Removing the complete dependency will cause junit4
classes missing in the test, also setting the CLASSPATH environment
variable doesn't help. What is the proper solution here?

I guess you could patch 'junit:junit:4.13.1' with 'junit:junit:4.x' to avoid this overly strict dependency version checking.

In some projects I maintain I got fed up with gradle and switched to plain jh_build. An example could be found in lucene9 [1]. I even found a way to build and run tests, but I did not succeed in doing so for lucene9, need to refresh my memory why.

[1] https://sources.debian.org/src/lucene9/9.4.2%2Bdfsg-2/debian/rules/

Hope this helps,
Andrius