Re: Maven 3.x in experimental

2011/12/30 Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@debian.org>:
> Hi Java team!
>
> Maven 3.x is now available in experimental in a new _maven_ debian package.
> You'll also need updated _maven2_ package (>= 2.2.1-11) to allow side-by-side
> installation (I'm using alternatives to allow user to choose between "mvn" cli
> tool).
>
> Please test and report any issue. I'm especially interrested in FTBFS w/ maven
> 3 or wrong plugin version.

Fails to build james-server [1]:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.2.1:process
(default) on project james-server-jcr: Execution default of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.2.1:process
failed: For artifact {rome:null:null:jar}: The artifactId cannot be
empty. -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
the -e switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutionException
[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command
[ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :james-server-jcr

Tried it again at work with binary maven distribution from apache and
it built correctly. You can get the code from here [2] and try to
duplicate the issue.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/
[2] http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html

Should I file bug reports with bugzilla next time?

> Roadmap (I'm looking for help here :) :
> - update toolchain (maven-ant-helper, maven-debian-helper) to allow packages
> to build with maven 3.x
> - update plugins to be in sync with upstream (maybe allowing multiple plugins
> version in archive... ?)
> - made maven 3 default for wheezy (open question... AFAIK, Fedora already
> switched)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Damien - Debian Developper