Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

Am 09.02.2011 16:43, schrieb Sylvestre Ledru:
> If the upstream of a library is regularly breaking the ABI (which is not
> uncommon), I will add a check in the build system to make sure that I
> will find the exact version of the upstream library I am using (it does
> help also other distributions).

That is one of those nasty problems of Java build processes.

Software that uses autoconf, cmake, or similar tools will check for
available features at the beginning of the build process, e.g. if there
is some function available and does it have the expected signature. Most
libraries try to stay backwards compatible for long time intervals to
avoid breakage.

Java build processes uses some fixed version of a library. In case of
Maven we even need a big hammer 'maven-debian-helper' to forcefully
override such version numbers. Libraries break backwards compatibility
quite often.

Cheers,
Torsten