Re: commons-collections packages

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:52:18 +0530, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure it is fully backward compatible. There was a binary
>>> incompatibility between 2.1 and 3.0 which was resolved in Commons
>>> Collections 2.1.1. And some deprecated classes and methods were removed
>>> in the 3.0 release.
>>>
>>>    http://commons.apache.org/collections/compatibility.html
>>>
>>> Is it possible to know how many packages depend on the 2.x collections
>>> package? It would be worth checking if they still compile after the
>>> migration.
>>
>> Following is the list of current rdepends of
>> libcommons-collections-java. In my opinion if they compile fine with
>> collections3 then there is no problem.
>
> Source API Compatibility != Binary API Compatibility (even when using
> Java, as you can see on [1] [2] :)
>
> This means that, maybe, we'll have to *rebuild and reupload* each package
> to take API changes into account.
> We can't just release a libcommons-collections3-java 3.x which replace
> libcommons-collections-java 2.x (by Conflict/Provide/Replace).
> (I've already had this kind of binary compatibility breakeage [3] on
> plexus-maven-plugin)

I never said we can simply replace the depends. We will certainly have
to rebuild packages with new build-depends.

> AFAIK, IteratorUtils seems to be the only class which break binary
> compatibility in commons-collections.
> I'll have a look at IteratorUtils "deprecated" usages in package which
> currentlty Build-Depends libcommons-collections-java 2.x.
> Maybe everything will work as expected :)

Ubuntu builds arch:all packages also on buildd. So you can take a look
at the build logs for these packages on launchpad and check if any
warning about collections deprecated APIs is seen. That should save
some time. Mail me if you find launchpad difficult to navigate.

Onkar