Re: How to package a WAR as a .deb

Hi,

Johannes Ernst wrote:
> I have a self-contained web application built into a WAR file, say
> foo.war.
>
> I'm trying to package it up as foo.deb on a custom server so users of
> that web application can simply use
>      apt-get install foo
> to get this application deployed on their application server, say
> Tomcat.

I'm not sure if that's really the option that makes most sense, although it
could be done. Deploying a war file could be as simple as dropping it
in /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps, so there is not a lot of room for
simplification here, but plenty of complexity.

If you want to build Debian packages, the Debian New Maintainer's Guide will
get you started. Once you read that, feel free to come back if you have
more questions. But chances are you'll realise that some other solution is
more suitable.

> I have been attempting to use Tomcat's tomcat5.5-webapps package as a
> template for how to do that, as it nicely restarts Tomcat upon
> install / uninstall.

Yes, but there is no need to restart Tomcat just to deploy a regular webapp.

Cheers,

Marcus