Re: Developing with Java on Debian

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Johnson schrieb:
It's unclear to me what they want to be configured at runtime by
changing the classpath.

I'll ask them and report back.

Wrapper scripts without classpath manifest items also result in
large classpaths containing items you shouldn't have to know about (your
dependencies' dependencies) and causes unnecessary transitions when
these change.

Ok, that makes sense to me.

You may also have a look at their build support system as they have some quite useful helper scripts as well. jpackage-utils is available in universe/contrib.

But not available in Debian.

Sorry, didn't know that. It must be a Ubuntu-only package then.

Hmm, if you can give me a test case, I'd be very interested. It
_should_ only suffer from giving you too many dependencies when there
are multiple jars containing the same class.

Sure. The problem occurred for me when I tried to build the jbossmq.jar in the jbossas4 package. To reproduce you'd have to download the jboss source code package from [1].

This package comes with a lot of binaries (which we are now replacing by jars built from source). Extract all the jars from the source package and put them in one directory. Then try to establish the dependencies of jbossmq.jar. It has a build dependency on jboss-j2ee.jar which doesn't show up for me when I analyze jbossmq.jar. All other dependencies are correctly discovered.

Rgds,

Florian

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22866&package_id=16942&release_id=548923