Re: [ITA] Turkey: looking for a sponsor

> Hello Cesare,

Hi there

> I'm not a DD so I can't offer to sponsor you. However there are plenty
> of DDs on the debian-java list who might be able to help (I've CCed that
> list).

OK, thanks for the head-up.

> I used to use turkey to generate filler text so I'm glad it has
> found someone to look after it. Does Ubuntu currently just sync this
> package with Debian?

Yes, but the new patch diverges a little bit (unless I or somebody else
can sync back from Debian).

> A couple of questions:
>
>   *  Can it still be *built* using free Java implementations?

Indeed. Even with my patch it is still built with the free
implementation. The JAVA JVM is only needed at runtime, and only for the
gui mode.

>   *  Can you still use its command line interface with a free Java
> runtime (I'm pretty sure this is possible).

Absolutely.

> If so then maybe it should stay in main - what's everybody else's opinion?

I have actually considered to have sun-java6 as a recommended or even
suggested dependency only, but in Ubuntu is just simpler to have it in
multiverse (its our non-free).

> There's a Debian Java Packaging team that you might find useful:
> http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/developers.html
>
> You might want to have a look at this FAQ:
> http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
>
> or some of these documents:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#maint-guide
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Thanks to you. Now I have something to keep me busy for the next couple
of hours :-)

'I think, if you want thousands, you've got to fight for one.' (Small
Gods)