Re: Java policy: finding the base directory of the default JRE/JDK

    "Arnaud" == Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:

    Arnaud> Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:42:49 -0800, Shyamal Prasad
    Arnaud> <shyamalprasad@verizon.net> wrote:

    >> I do not do any Java development anymore, and I've only ever
    >> used Blackdown on Debian, so any input would help.

    Arnaud> Maybe I'm too curious, but if you don't do java dev any
    Arnaud> more, why do you ask?! :-D

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for the help.

When I do Java work I use emacs Java Development Environment (JDE). It
is a package (jde) in Debian, and also bundled into xemacs21 (in
xemacs21-basesupport).

I just noticed that both JDE versions in Debian (jde and
xemacs21-basesupport) are partially broken: if you don't set JAVA_HOME
(which is not allowed by Debian policy) some of the most useful tools
don't work. I want to fix this, because when I do need to do Java
again I'm going to need it :-)

    >> If not, how can I find the base of the distribution in general?

    Arnaud> I don't understand.

I guess I was asking if the other JDK/JRE packages follow the same
packaging as blackdown, which (in 1.3 at least) put everything under
/usr/lib/j2se/1.3?

I installed kaffe, and I see /usr/lib/kaffe/{bin/lib/jre}. Is that a
happy accident, or is that some kind of Debian (or Java community)
policy? I don't want to install every JVM out there if I can avoid it.

    Arnaud> See kaffe and free-java-sdk and point JAVA_HOME to
    Arnaud> /usr/lib/kaffe or /usr/lib/fjsdk

Will do. But I'm just trying to see how to get JDE to work when
JAVA_HOME is not set ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal