Sun's jdk integration <was : apt and java>

spam2004@meeque.de wrote:

Hi.

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Omry Yadan <omry_y@inter.net.il> wrote:

I have emailed sun today, quering if they approve an automatic
installer which will get the bin from their site, and execute it -
showing the user the license as it does that, and installing if the
user approved.  I described to them that the user can choose to
install jdk/jre alone, or it might be triggered when he wishes to
install a java application.  lets see what they say.

[...]
Nevertheless I think it is technically possible to write a program which gets the JDKs from Sun's download-website. Also the licence the user has to accept before downloading seems to be the same as the one contained in the respective JDKs, which again seems to be the same as shown when using java-package.

However, the whole download and licence stuff indicates, that Sun probably does not like us doing stuff like that. So I'm curious what kind of answer Omry will get from Sun, if any.

Breaking news: I have received an okay from Sun on that, still a verbal one (on the phone), but a written one will come later. I would like to take it further, but not without some support from you guys. (moral support, mostly)

   Omry.