Re: eight packages could possibly go to main!

Etienne Gagnon wrote:

The biggest problem is that Kaffe is licensed under the GNU GPL, so if an
application/library can only be compiled with Kaffe, it must be licensed
under the GPL too (or at least be "license compatible" with the GPL).

By "only compiled with Kaffe", you mean "and not with Sun's JDK" in particular? If so, then is it really an issue in practice? As far as I know, Kaffe is not trying to introduce unique features, so it would be surprising that any application can be build/run _only_ with Kaffe.

If you mean "the only free JVM that can build/run it is Kaffe", then that becomes a more likely situation, but then I don't see the reasoning why the license of the app would need to be GPL compatible.

Daniel