Re: Let Jikes (finally) go into testing on its own...

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:04:55PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> writes:
> > Jikes only needs *any* version to be in testing. A given package has
> > to be removed from testing for the current problems to occur.
> > Hopefully, kaffe will get into testing by the middle of Feb.
>
> I second the proposal of Grzegorz:
>
> Put the jikes-* wrapper scripts in JVM packages, not in jikes to let
> jikes go in testing.
>
> 3? It's better a JVM depends on jikes only and not jikes (or jikes-* but
>    it's the same source package) depends on 4 JVM.

It doesn't really matter to me. I just need everyone to agree on this
so that the wrappers don't simply dissapear. Grzegorz (SableVM) surely
will agree. gij will probably have little problem with this either.

I just need a yes from both Ean (Kaffe) and John (Classpath). I can upload
a new version of jikes tomorrow if everyone agrees.

Since jikes doesn't not have any platform specific parts in it, it is
quite certain that jikes will not prevent JVM from getting into testing
if these wrappers go into JVM.

- Adam

PS. Furthermore, since these wrappers are NOT and should not be dependent
on version of the JVM (or kaffe), they should be maintained such that
they work with ALL the versions of the JVM. This should be simple enough :)