Re: "satisfying Java solution under Debian"

In message:  <[🔎] 20031219155842.GM659@esgaroth.schmehl.info>
             Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info> writes:

>on the Debian booth at the Linux World Exposition in Frankfurt /
>Germany, we had a visitor, whome you might find interessting.
>
>He offered 5000 Euro for an "satisfying sollution for Java in Debian".
>
>As far as I know, he liked to run programs, which need JDK 1.4 on
>an stable realease of Debian, only using packages in main.

Unfortunately, as he states the requirements, I don't think that
anyone is going to be able to help him.  JDK 1.4 (or any of Sun's
releases) is not free software, and only free software can go into
main... so if he really needs JDK 1.4, then there's nothing anyone
can do for him.

If he just needs something that works as a functional replacement
for JDK 1.4, then perhaps one of the free VMs would do... though
I believe that all of them are significantly short of full JDK 1.4
compatibility, particularly in the UI areas.  This is of course
something that would have to be evaluated on a program-by-program
basis.

Bringing any of the free VMs up to full JDK 1.4 compatibility would
likely take significantly more (as in orders of magnitude more) than
5000 Euros.

If he's willing to run Sun's version of JDK 1.4 compiled for linux
(which is not in main and not in a .deb, but can be obtained from
Sun's website at no charge), then all it needs to run on Woody is a
couple backrev .so libraries (which are in main).  Not ideal, but
it works.

- Alex

PS. Feel free to pass this note on to him, though I doubt that it's
    what he wants to hear.