Re: Installing JDK1.4.1

This one time, at band camp, Michael S Daines said:
> I grabbed a Debian Java FAQ from a link here recently and was trying to
> work through it this weekend.  I stumbled, however when I was asked to
> 	apt-get install java2-common
> This package is not found anywhere I know to look.  The next step in the
> faq requires using some *.control files that just don't exist, so I assume
> they're from this package (dummy-package?).
>
> Can somone point me in the right direction here on how to get over this
> hump? Also, I've never added sources before, so if that is necessary, just
> a one-line example would be great.
>
> Thanx,
> msd
As far as I know, the FAQ is for unstable/sid, so if you're using woody or
testing, I'm not sure what to do.

The package java-common (not java2-common) contains the .control files you're
looking for:
java-compiler-dummy.control
java-virtual-machine-dummy.control
java1-runtime-dummy.control
java2-compiler-dummy.control
java2-runtime-dummy.control

Feed those into equivs-build and install the resulting packages with dpkg. You
should be good to go.

Some command-line formatting got lost in the HTML of the FAQ; here's how the
various commands should look:

cd /var/install/java
mkdir pkg
cp /usr/share/doc/java-common/dummy-packages/*.control /var/install/java/pkg
equivs-build java-compiler-dummy.control
equivs-build java-virtual-machine-dummy.control
equivs-build java-runtime-dummy.control
equivs-build java2-compiler-dummy.control
equivs-build java2-runtime-dummy.control

update-alternatives --verbose --install /usr/bin/java java \
  /usr/local/lib/jdk/bin/java 500 \
  --slave /usr/share/man/man1/java.1 java.1 \
  /usr/local/lib/jdk/man/man1/java.1

HTH,

Warren