Re: [PROPOSAL] dh_ant

Jan Schulz wrote:

I've had a look at this bug and I thing we should not fource a
specific javac or java at our users. If they don't want to download a
BD JDK, then this should be made possible.

It is just for building the package. I don't think that most users will rebuild the Java packages, especially since they are architecture independent. You also need a lot of -dev packages (and gcc) for rebuilding C and C++ packages, so that's the normal way.

IMO java on debian needs some helper programms:

This is surely useful for running the packages, but doesn't gain anything when you want to build the package. I think the package maintainer knows best which JDK is suited for building the package, so he should chose one.

* A skript which installs *any* jdk/jre-bin properly (mpkg-j2sdk is a
  start, but it doesn't work with IBM SDK1.4), including
  mozilla-plugins and so on.  This should be properly advertiesed in
  FAQ, README, Mozilla Maintainer, etc

I think such a script should be put in java-common. Who wants to write one? :-)

* A system to get a classpath at runtime, similar to shlibs files at
  compiletime (if I haven't understood something wrong there).

This will not be easy, for example when there are conflicting versions of one package, like log4j: Your package might use log4j 1.2 but also depend on another library package which uses log4j 1.1 - how do you want to resolve this situation?

I think it's still the best solution if the maintainers of Java applications hard-code the class path in their startup scripts (or use something line /usr/share/ant/lib). Sure, that's more maintenance work but it's the only way that I currently see to guarantee a sane class path.

Stefan