Re: additions to java-policy

Hallo Stefan,

* Stefan Gybas wrote:
>(e.g. to use a well-defined class path)

BTW: I just had some problems with that:

SWT is (2.1.1-3) now avavilable with motif and gtk bindings. The
problem is, that gtk is distributet in two jars and motif in one jar
(license issues...). So when someone depends on libswt2.1-java (which is
a virtual package provided by both packages) this package nneds to be
able to get the right jars. I finaly used update-alternatives on a
small file which specifys
|JARS=gtk1.jar:gtk2.jar or
|JARS=motif.jar
and someone can get the jars from there.

In the end I find this solution (CLASSPATH based on 'describing'
files) quite nice. If there would be a small wrapper which returns the
complete Claspath for a given app, this would maybe even nicer.

Almsot every app I've seen is also using some way to get a binary of
'java'. Maybe this could also be refactored in a common skript...

>Appending the version would only make sense if the package name also
>contained the version so you could install multiple versions at the same
>time. BTW, I've not seen any package that usees the versioned JAR - so
>it obviously is not useful.

I versiond all the swt jars after the API Version, so I hope I got
everything right for an API change. I don't know if xerces is
changeing that often, but mayby this is practical there, too. I tried
to follow the 'library package guide'..

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net