Re: Getting a Java package in the distribution?

Jan Schulz wrote:

Does it need to be extracted? The problem with java source packages
are usually, that they are not a least conform with the format which
dpkg-source likes, so almost ever java package I've seen (including my
own...) has a 'uncompress-stamp' in debian/rules and justs puts the
upstream file somwhere and and build a orig.tar.gz by hand.

That's fine, of course. You just need to unpack the source somehow to be able to use it for compiling classes. Just putting the source in a tgz archive and installing a pre-compiled JAR is not the right way.

Almost all of my Java package don't have this problem, I use the pristine upstream tarball (even if it contains some JARs that are not used by the Debian build process). This is true for at least all Jakarta projects.

Stefan