Re: [michaelc@lindows.com: [Matthias.Pfisterer@web.de: Re: autobuilders and java]]

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 01:02:48PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Michael Cardenas <michaelc@lindows.com> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, I tried to compile Limewire with Jikes and it
> > failed. So does gcj.
> >
> > I've been asked to break these compilation bugs down into small test
> > programs and write bugs for them, but my Java is not all that great so
> > it's going to take some time.
>
> Do you have more specific errors? Perhaps people here are able to help
> dissecting the problem.

I've tried compiling limewire "core" with Jikes.

There seem to be two issues:

Deprecated calls to "Properties.util.save".

    [javac] /opt/limewire-2.5.5/core/com/limegroup/gnutella/SettingsManager.java
      :3500: warning: save(java.io.OutputStream,java.lang.String) in java.util.Propert
      ies has been deprecated
    [javac]                     PROPS.save(ostream, "");

    [javac] /opt/limewire-2.5.5/core/com/limegroup/gnutella/xml/XMLHostCache.jav
       a:117: warning: save(java.io.OutputStream,java.lang.String) in java.util.Propert
       ies has been deprecated
    [javac]                 _props.save(os,null);

The solution here seems easy: replace "save" with "store";
the API seems to be the same.

The other problem seems to be inconsistencies in jikes:

1.  It only reports *one* of the deprecated calls to "store"

    [javac] Issued 1 semantic warning compiling "/opt/limewire-2.5.5/core/com/limegroup/gnutella/SettingsManager.java":
    [javac]
    [javac]   3500.                     PROPS.save(ostream, "");
    [javac]                                 <--------------------->
    [javac] *** Warning: The method "void save(java.io.OutputStream $1, java.lang.String $2);" declared in type "java/util/Properties" has been deprecated.

2. It flags these two calls

    [javac] Issued 2 semantic warnings compiling "/opt/limewire-2.5.5/core/com/l
imegroup/gnutella/Acceptor.java":
    [javac]
    [javac]    314.             setDaemon(true);
    [javac]                     <------------->
    [javac] *** Caution: Ambiguous reference to member named "setDaemon" inherit
ed from type "java/lang/Thread" but also declared or inherited in the enclosing
type "com/limegroup/gnutella/Acceptor". Explicit qualification is required.
    [javac]
    [javac]
    [javac]    315.             start();
    [javac]                     <----->
    [javac] *** Caution: Ambiguous reference to member named "start" inherited f
rom type "java/lang/Thread" but also declared or inherited in the enclosing type
 "com/limegroup/gnutella/Acceptor". Explicit qualification is required.

for reasons that I do not understand.  The methods do not seem to be defined in
this class and it directly extends Thread.
Jikes does *not* flags similiar calls in the same class, in the "initialize" method,
at line 106:

        setDaemon(true);
        start();

HTH,
Doug.
--
Douglas Guptill                    902-461-9749