Java plugin advocacy

Rick Lutowski <rick@jreality.com> writes:

> Why have browsers been stuck at 1.1 for years?  Just a wild
> guess, but might it have something to do with MS stopping Java
> support with 1.1, and also controlling 80% of the browser market?

It could also be because the perceived benefit for the user is not as big
as you think. Users *are* installing add-ons for flash and other crap.

/I/ certainly don't see the big win, but am willing to listen.
Pointers to screenshots may help convince me.

> IMO, Java's real forte is client-side.

So go ahead and use it on your site. You'd better make it optional,
though -- but this is good advice for almost any web technology
(scripting, css, mathml, ...).

--
Robbe