Re: deb for netbeans

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:54:01PM -0700, Nicos Panayides wrote:

> Ok then. I wasn't too sure about it anyway. By the way since there are
> several different specifications (1.2, 1.3, 1.4) for java2 vm (and their
> base libraries), shouldn't there be some way to handle dependencies on
> specifications? For instance i have a project that needs 1.4. Right now i
> don't see any way to have that dependency. Maybe the java-virtual-machine
> virtual package should have a specification field so we could say
> something like depends: java-virtual-machine (>= 1.4).

This would be useful, but dpkg does not have this functionality (versioned
virtual packages) yet.  A versioned dependency on a virtual package will
always fail to be met.

> Maybe something similar for the base libraries. Ok there are no java2-vms
> available for debian officially but hopefully someday there will be, and
> not handling specification dependencies will cause some headaches to the
> users.

I would look at it the other way, where it is not a good use of our time to
fine-tune a specification for something that we do not have (and may never
be able to have).

--
 - mdz