Provides: java-servlet-engine - the ongoing saga

Right. Here we go again. As it may be obvious by now, I'm quite
keen to get this done. (I'm packaging up Jetty at the moment,
which is a servlet-2.2 compatible engine.)

This will become more and more useful as more and more servlet
engines are released and packaged.

So, this is how I propose it works. Most of this is drawn from
the way Tomcat works, which seems well thought out and logical.

1) Only a servlet-2.2 or greater compliant servlet engine can
provide this. (IE, the engine must be capable of being
autoconfigured).

2) Webapps are drawn from /usr/share/java/webapps and the
libraries are drawn from /usr/share/java .

3) JSPs should be useable from /var/www/*.jsp - this complies
with debian webserver guidelines.

Points to look into:

1) Apache modules are able to add their LoadModule lines to
/etc/apache/httpd.conf even though that is a conf file. is it
worth investigating a mechanism (possibly using
update-alternatives) to allow global contexts to be added to a
servlet engine?

I also think that the debian java policy is worth modifying to
explicitly define how servlets should be handled - if this is a
good idea, I will put out a patch against the policy sometime
early next week.

I'd like to be able to get this Provides: java-servlet-engine
into debian policy as soon as possible. Please could everyone
look at this email and try to comment as constructively as
possible so that I can move this forward.

Cheers,
-Thom