canna/kinput problems

I run Debian Woody and have several problems with canna/kinput2:

1. The script /etc/init.d/canna fails with the message:

   cannaserver: -u flag specified, but canna not run as root

   The -u flag is specified in /etc/init.d/canna itself. I can
   start canna by running cannaserver (as root). But should it
   run as user "canna"? Must a user "canna" be created first?

2. When cannaserver is running, I can run kinput2 with the command

   kinput2 &

   Then, if I start kterm by means of

   kterm -xim

   I can enter Japanese in (non-Japanese) programs running in the
   kterm, e.g. joe. However, if I am not root, when I start
   kinput2 several error messages appear:

   Warning: bushuをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした
   Warning: keishikiをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした
   Warning: hojoswdをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした
   Warning: hojomwdをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした
   Warning: fuzokugoをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした
   Warning: irohaをマウ瘢雹ントできませんでした

   This must be a permission problem, but how to solve it? All
   the dictionaries in /usr/lib/canna/dic/canna have the same
   permissions, but kinput2 complains only about these six.

3. I have never managed to obtain Japanese input in Mozilla
   (I run one of the newest versions). But according to several
   web pages, it should be possible. How?

regards, Jan