Re: Web Admin Interface for ISP (WaveLAN)

Am 2009-02-27 00:27:33, schrieb norbert_schuetz@bigfoot.com:
> Hi Michelle,
>
> maybe, if not fixed already, PowerDNS might be an option to Bind.
> It comes with SQL and LDAP backends, therefore "realtime" operation
> without zone reloads", has several caching strategies for queries and
> for special purposes you can drop in your own backend.

Since I already use Bind9 + dlz + PostgreSQL and changing then DNS would
mean, I have to migrate 16 (online) DNS servers at once, it is no option
for me.  (my bind9 are working for years now)

> For some massive
> mass hosting we once set up a nice backend that simply answered any
> queriy from a simple static array with predefined values.

For my new WaveLAN service in Baden-Würtemberg I have not the  need  for
mass hosting.  I calculate in my region with arround 4000 to 8000  users
and I do not believe, that a forth of them will have there own domain.

> Stunning
> performance and not even a few dozen lines of code ;-)
> We have deployed pdns in several places as a "multi-primary" setup,
> replication on the database backend, no zone-xfers. At least for
> authoritive-only usage a strong recommendation.

I need Masters and Slaves.
(I will make the Slave for a bunch of cooperates)

> Just to do so, for the webmailer I'd throw in Ilohamail (PHP, even less
> complex than RoundCube).

OK, I will look into it, whether I can adapt it to my needs.

> As it might touch your project: the 02/2009 issue of german ix-magazine
> had a somewhat in-depth article on tunneling wlan access points via dns
> and how to prevent it.
> http://www.heise.de/kiosk/archiv/ix/09/02/136_Tunneleffekt
> (70 cent download fee, and I guess it's only available in german)

I know the security issues for IEE802.11abg but I do not use this system
since it range and performance is highly limited.

I a licence owner for the 5.8 GHz range and have  currently  6  channels
available.

Because it is the Alvarion BreezeVL, normal user will have never  access
to 5.8 GHz Hardware and the configuration is entirely done in  the  End-
User Transceiver.

It is not possibel to intercept or hack the system.

However, I have a Click-Any-Buy account and will look into the article.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>               <http://www.can4linux.org/>
+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)