Re: NEVER USE SORBS

Hey Peter,

Peter Klavins wrote:
I think the business-ADSL space is changing a lot and expectations are
rising for what can be achieved with a business ADSL line.

In Australia, the reality is that residential grade ADSL is often no less good than business grade and is usually a whole lot cheaper.

I rent a business level ADSL line here in Italy because it's
convenient
for me especially because competition has lowered prices to the point
where for example 6 Mbit ADSL with no upload/download limits (which on
the contrary is common back home in Australia) costs of the order of
50 AUD a month flat.  I got the business level ADSL instead of the
consumer level ADSL precisely because it offered a static IP address,
that indeed has not changed in all the years that I have had the service,
regardless of reboots. But, importantly, it is assigned by DHCP, presumably for
the convenience of the customer in not having to be a master at
configuring their network equipment, just simply plug in and follow
the standard instructions on the consumer-level ADSL modem.  The ADSL
connection is of a high quality by what I can judge:  it often remains
connected for months at a time, until usually I bring it down by
restarting something, not the ISP.

You may be surprised to know that Exetel offer business here a service almost the same as you describe:
- static IP [similarly setup]
- $AUD50 per month
- 6mbps/640kbps [ADSL1 Enhanced]
- Unlimited data 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday and $AUD1 per GB outside of these times.

Peter Klavins                                              Datalon SrL
klavins@netspace.net.au                   Viale Giuseppe Mazzini 114/A
Mobile +39 339 801 4246   Fax +39 06 233 297 037   00195 Roma RM Italy

btw a mail server on ADSL is not so much different to one on ISDN, but ADSL is available with much faster speeds.

Kind Regards

AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP 1300 85 3804

Mobile: 04 2574 1827 Fax: 03 8790 1224

Affinity Vision Australia Pty Ltd
www.affinityvision.com.au
www.affinityvision.net/adsl/