Re: Woody+Testing Apache Segmentation Fault

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:41:50 +0200
Ian Forbes <iforbes@zsd.co.za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem with my webserver. It was originally setup with
> Potato (or earlier version) of Debian a few years back.
>
> Currently it has been fully upgraded to Woody, plus selected
> packages have been upgraded to "Testing". These include
> php(4.3.4-4) and all its dependencies including apache(1.3.31-2).
> and libapache-mod-perl(1.29.0.2-9). These are the latest "testing"
> release versions.
>
> Recently I did an "apt-get upgrade" and it downloaded and installed
> the above version of apache. Afterwards it would not start, it
> failed without showing an error on either the screen or the log
> files. Running "apache -F" I got a segmentation fault.
>
> After a bit of playing, I discovered if I comment out either the
> php4 or mod-perl in the new modules.conf (imported from httpd.conf)
> the server starts normally. With both modules loaded the server get
> a segmentation fault.
>
> I am wondering if there is a version conflict between the modules,
> or if there is a restriction on permissions or resources, inherited
> from the earlier version, which prevents the apache server from
> starting?
>
> Has anybody seen this before?

I have not experienced this problem before, but I have seen several
threads here on Debian-user that resolved it by uninstalling the
php4-imap package.

Alternatively, you should be able to simply disable php4-imap in your
php.ini file to see if it is the problem.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135