Re: configure squid to cache sites

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:29:04AM -0600, Lucas Albers wrote:
> Thought I would share my squid configuration to allow caching of
> windowsupdate/mcafee and similar for clients.
> Needs ims config to work correctly.
> Sure saves bandwidth, and vastly speeds up updates, for windows clients.
> Not a transparent configuration.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg107772.html

a useful set of refresh_patterns for squid.

there was one typo ("*." rather than ".*") in the first regexp, and three of
the regexps could be re-written in a more generic form, so that they're not
tied to particular versions of the service packs.

also, a literal "." should always be written as "\." in a regexp, otherwise it
matches *any* character.

# refresh patterns to enable caching of MS windows update
refresh_pattern http://.*\.windowsupdate\.microsoft\.com/ 0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern http://office\.microsoft\.com/            0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern http://windowsupdate\.microsoft\.com/     0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims

# the next two can be rewritten as one regexp, which should also match other
# SP versions.
#refresh_pattern http://wxpsp2\.microsoft\.com/           0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
#refresh_pattern http://xpsp1\.microsoft\.com/            0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern http://w?xpsp[0-9]\.microsoft\.com/       0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims

# ditto for the next one.
#refresh_pattern http://w2ksp4\.microsoft\.com/           0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern http://w2ksp[0-9]\.microsoft\.com/        0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims

refresh_pattern http://download\.microsoft\.com/          0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims

# and some other windows updaters
refresh_pattern http://download\.macromedia\.com/         0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern ftp://ftp\.nai\.com/                      0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern http://ftp\.software\.ibm\.com/           0 80% 20160 reload-into-ims

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"