Re: mod_ssl versus apache-ssl

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 18:40, Ghe Rivero wrote:

> What's the difference between them and which one is better to use? Thx!

I don't have a clear answer, but here is some material that should help
your research :

http://www.apache-ssl.org/#mod_ssl
Apache-SSL is not mod_ssl

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.6/ssl_faq.html#ToC3
What are the functional differences between mod_ssl and Apache-SSL, from
where it is originally derived?

http://www.mail-archive.com/modssl-users@modssl.org/msg15792.html
mod_ssl is derived originally from Apache SSL
mod_ssl is more widely used than Apache SSL
Apache SSL supports Apache 1.x
mod_ssl supports Apache 1.x and 2.x

I would add that with mod_ssl you only need one Apache daemon. If your
SSL server has low traffic, with apache-ssl you don't waste memory with
idle threads that can't be used to serve HTTP requests. And that's one
less daemon to maintain : one httpd.conf instead of two.

I don't know about the finer points. All I can say is that there really
seem to be an alternative.