Re: Redundant email servers

also sprach Eli B <elib@shocking.com> [2003.03.10.2027 +0100]:
> Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Is there a package or two that
> I can apt-get which will do it for me? ;) Didn\'t think so.

it's quite easy actually. make one the master, the other the slave.
configure the MX records accordingly. configure the master's transport
map to duplicate all received mail to the slave, and the same from
slave to master. use procmail or something else that allows you to
guard against mailloops.

add POP3/IMAP to both and put both IPs into the A record of
pop.mydomain.com and imap.mydomain.com. make the TTL of these
A records something like 600 or even 300 -- with 20 users, this won't
even hurt you ever so slightly.

make both of the separate DNS servers, and don't slave between them.
use djbdns. configure a script on both servers to ping the other, and
when the ping successively fails, then to remove the IP of the other
side from the A record, adding it back in as soon as the pong comes
back.

you can also look at the heartbeat package.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc