Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2002 18:21, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>
> > You must be kidding. This is a list that considers people who don't use
> > their provider's MTA as "trespassers" (quote from MAPS' information page
> > about this list), and assumes dialup/DSL people to be guilty by default.
> >
> > Making the ISP accountible for the mail sent by their customers by
> > having it forced through their MTA in this way is a senseless way of
> > approaching the problem, IMHO.
>
> No it is a quite sensible way of doing it.  When an ISP has 64,000 phone
> lines with associated IP addresses in active use then a spammer can just make
> repeated connections with different IP addresses to send out spam.  Blocking
> one of the IP addresses used by a dial-up will do no good, as the person
> using it by that time probably isn't the spammer!

Of course. As said, if the list causes only people with *dynamic* IPs to
be forced to use their ISP's MTA, I'd agree that it's a very good idea.

But if we start using a policy that declares all endpoint-to-endpoint
mail illegal, allowing the direct to MX SMTP privilege only to large(r)
sites, then we'll set ourselves back to some form of uucp, and
practically start to advocate a single policing global mail hub that's
in the end responsible for everyone's mail. I'm sure it would require a
MS Passport account ;-)

I'd *hate* that to happen -- it defeats the point of the internet
itself, where individual people aren't just hapless consumers but
can be producers as well if they choose to.

[SNIP good points about pressuring ISPs to act responsibly]

But where do you stop the accountibility chain? At which point (size!)
do sites become responsible for their own actions?

Indeed, the only sensible answer seems to be "if it has a fixed IP
address". Not whether they are intermittently connected, whether they
use PPP, or what their bandwith is. That has nothing to do with it.

In short, "dialup" is the wrong name. It should be "dynamic IP".

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   e-advies@evbergen.xs4all.nl