Re: mail queue's, ext3 data=journal and sync-mount

On Tue, 2002-08-20 00:42:31 +0200, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20020819224232.4294A129F@lyta.coker.com.au>:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:17, you wrote:
> > True.  Do you know why ext2 sync-mounted is so abysmally slow?  I mean,
> > our RAID was barely breaking a sweat, and bonnie++ was barely using 2-3%
> > CPU, and yet, things just wouldn't go any faster, what's the bottleneck?
>
> Write back caching is simply a great way of improving performance.
>
> If you have a single hard drive then when writing to a file, even if the data
> is all contiguous (the file is not fragmented) then when writing data for
> each write the disk will need to spin to the correct location before data can
> be written, for a 10K rpm drive that'll be an average of 3ms overhead per
> chunk.  Use a larger chunk size for Bonnie++ and performance should improve.
>
> Also for a RAID-5 it's even worse.  To write to a sector on a RAID-5 you have
> to do two reads and two writes minimum (or a read from all disks minus two
> plus two writes) to get the correct parity.  For a three disk RAID-5 that's
> one read and two writes, for a five disk RAID-5 it's two reads and two writes.
>
> If you write the entire stripe at once (could be dozens of blocks depending
> on the RAID setup) then it's little overhead when compared to a non-RAID
> setup (RAID-5 should perform well for writing big files non-synchronously).
>
> Again make the chunk size larger on Bonnie++ and you should see a good
> performance improvement.
>
> You might even discover that the performance of your RAID setup can be
> measured in synchronous writes per second rather than any other metric.

within this discussion, i got the idea to put an external journal for
the ext3fs on an raid1-volume the real data on a raid5, hopefully, when
writing the journal out to the disk having more data to be written an
once - this would be worth a try but i don't have the hardware to try
this and bad expirences with software raid5.

AVE!
  phils...

--
     PHILIPP SCHMIDT / phils - - + - - > philipp@ppc.in-berlin.de
                                 ` - - > http://home.pages.de/~phils/

Lbh unir whfg ivbyngrq gur Qvtvgny Zvyraavhz Pbclevtug Npg ol oernxvat gur
cebgrpgvba bs pbclevtugrq zngrevny.  Vs lbh ner abg n pvgvmra be erfvqrag bs
gur HFN, lbh evfx orvat vzcevfbarq naq uryq jvgubhg onvy sbe hc gb gjb jrrxf
hcba ragel gb gur HFN (c) Copyright 2001 by Hartmann Schaffer (signature only)

:wq