Re: Discrepencies between du and df.

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 11:04, Fred Clausen wrote:

> I am having a strange problem where the output of du and df do not
> correlate. Here are the symptoms :
>
> $df /var
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda10              606405    596139         0 100% /var
>
> $du -s /var
> 54157	/var
>
> Here we can see that du thinks there is only about 54M used but df reckons
> there is over 596M used.

Both are correct. The difference is that whenever an application has an
open file, but the file is already deleted, then it is counted in the df
output (because the space is certainly not free) but not in du (because
it is not being used by a file).

Just do a 'lsof | grep deleted' and I'm almost certain you'll see some
large file in /var/log being held open by some daemon that wasn't
restarted whenever it's logfile was rotated. Just restart that daemon
(and don't forget to fix the logrotate scripts for that daemon and/or
file a bugreport about it)

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan