Fwd: Re: [reiserfs-list] Fwd: Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems

Subject: Re: [reiserfs-list] Fwd: Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:10:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Benjamin Scott <bscott@ntisys.com>

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> Subject: Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems
> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:32:53 -0800
> From: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
> To: "I. Forbes" <iforbes@zsd.co.za>
> Cc: Paul Fleischer <proguy@proguy.dk>, debian-isp@lists.debian.org
>
>  Although XFS is cool in many ways, the port for linux is pretty much
>  a hack.

  I know people who swear by it.  YMMV.

> ReiserFS supports fs growth, but not over an LVM.

  Strange, since I did this Friday.  Online, even.  Went from 30 GB to 300
GB, while compiling a kernel and coping files, and everything worked without
a hitch.

> I suggest ext3, it's the most solid codebase, and provides the best
> overall performance.

  ext3 is a simple, incremental improvement to ext2 -- it adds journaling.
Nothing more.  Smaller changes generally mean less bugs.  Furthermore, there
is an easy path for forward and backward compatibility.  To go in either
direction, you simply mount the filesystem as the other type.  This has
reasonably obvious advantages.  However, it also means performance and
capabilities are about the same as ext2.

  ReiserFS, OTOH, is a completely different FS.  It is new code (or rather,
was new code -- I think it has been around long enough to lose that
designation by now :).  Not only that, it introduced some ideas that had
never really been tried before.  The structure itself is significantly more
complex than ext2/ext3.  This gives you better performance -- sometimes
significantly better.

  As usual, nothing is black and white.  The best filesystem to choose for
your needs depends mostly on your needs.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott@ntisys.com>