Little Exim questions

I happen to have exim mailer for personal use, and I'm wondering
couple things. First, relaying mails through it seems somewhat slow.
I don't get bundles of mail all a time and I've used sendmail where
sending seemed to be faster. Any reasons why it might be slower or how
to get it faster in this respect?

Another thing, stopping and starting exim doesn't anymore seem to cause anykind
echo when starting from console. I've re-installed it few times, but still it doesn't give any report is it started or off like before it did. Other programs do give. Anybody know reason for this
kind of behaviour?