Re: help with site+database

> PHP is OK, but i wouldn't use mysql for anything. i really don't
> understand how anyone could trust their data to a toy.

  Slashdot uses mySQL as its database and I don't think that anyone
could plausibly argue that /. isn't an intensive use of a database by a
very busy, and very successful, Web site. If you've ever perused
Slashcode you'll also agree that those are some really ugly SQL
statements! :-)

  I'm not saying that mySQL is better, I'm saying that, as in all "which
tool is better" questions the answer is always "it depends."

  The answer to the "which is better" question seems to depend on what
you are using the database for. My suggestion is to grab both databases,
populate them with your data and manually run some of your "typical"
queries on them. See which works better for *your* needs.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Services, Inc.