Re: ADSL modems that work in linux ??

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Jeremy Lunn wrote:

 > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:32:08PM -0800, Simon Tennant wrote:
 > > Unless I'm missing something, running the ADSL nic in your firewall
 > > instead of as a seperate ethernet device saves you allocating each a
 > > unique address.
 >
 > Nope, it may save on overhead if it doesn't use PPPoE (but it still
 > might have to use PPPoA).   But you don't allocate an IP address to each
 > device, as I said, PPPoE writes to the ethernet interface rawly.  Only
 > the PPP device has an IP address and it's more of a pseudo device.

not knowing pppoe (got the concept, tho:), but anyway, assuming those
were two separate devices, you absolutely do not need to assign real
addresses to the internal iface of the dsl modem and the external
iface of the firewall, and you have plenty of unroutable addresses
anyway.

--
[-]
So, you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.