Re: IPv6 over ppp autoconfiguration not working in squeeze

Adam Spragg <adam@spra.gg> writes:

>> IP6CP (the IPv6 network control protocol in PPP) does not negtioate
>> addresses or prefixes.  That is left for SLAAC or DHCPv6.
>
> But I thought that SLAAC was a pretty basic part of IPv6, and that that was
> the part that should "just work". I shouldn't need to run any special
> software, or client daemon for it (unlike DHCPv6) should I?

Yes, that's correct.  SLAAC is basic and fully implemented in the
kernel, and Will Just Work by default.  Unless you disable it in some
way, which I believe is what we've been discussing.  The ability to turn
it off and the default-off-for-routers, are also basic parts of IPv6.
The confusing part may be that defaults are turned around based on
whether the system is a "router" or a "host".  But this is the best one
can do in an OS which can be both.

> Seriously, this all seems like pretty fundamental functionality. What is the
> point in making all the apps in squeeze IPv6 compliant if it's so hard to get
> an actual IPv6 connection up and running?

It's not really hard to get IPv6 up and running on a single interface,
but configuring a router (which is what you are actually doing if you
are going to receive a /56 from your ISP) is always some work regardless
of IP version.  It does mandate at bit of thought about policies, like
which interfaces can be auto-configured and which cannot.  The Linux
kernel and Debian distribution do provide sane defaults, but you will
most likely have to configure something manually for *any* router.

Which is why my employer (an ISP) is reluctant to provide any IPv6
access at all unless we also can provide a CPE that Just Works for
IPv6.  And that's pretty hard right now...

Bjørn