Re: RE: Re: information (KMM13883013V57357L0KM)

The following letter will be going to the Las Cruces Sun News, the Las Cruces B ulletin, the El Paso Times, and any other newspaper I can think of.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR - BEST BUY

Unless you are a long-time resident here you probably should not read this letter. It concerns customer relations. We used to be able to trust the word of a businessman, and shake hands with confidence. Some of the newer businesses that have come here have brought with them practices that are astounding to us old timers. For instance, I bought a digital camera from Best Buy yesterday, December 31st, expecting to save the 0.5% GRT increase. That sales person informed me that they had a 14 day return policy. No mention was made of any other policy. This morning, January 1st, I took the camera out of the box and examined it, only to find that I could not see well through the view finder, because as I moved about the lenses of my glasses rubbed against it. Something I could not do in the store, since the camera was tied down. I had a 14 day return policy, right? So I decided to return it and buy one that had the big view window.

When I went to the exchange desk as directed, the girl told me there would be a 15% restocking fee for the return. What? I thought restocking fees were assessed on internet orders, so I asked for the manager, and was subsequently turned over to the Sales Manager, Walter Gudas, who told me that if I would choose another camera more to my liking, I could make the exchange and not have to pay for the restocking fee. His voice had a soft quality that indicated to me that he was doing me a favor. Just make an exchange and no fee would be charged! Hot Dogs! I felt like I was being held captive, and had to buy from that store in order to save $30.00. I complained that I should have been told about the restocking fee, whereupon they pointed to the big board which stated the restocking charge. But, I argued, the sales person should have warned me about the restocking fee for computers, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors only, and I didn?t see that sign, since the purchase was done in the back of the store.

By then I was completely exasperated, and decided that I would not deal with these people, right or wrong. As an extra bonus, they increased the sales tax to 7% which they added to my credit card, so the whole deal cost me $31.09. Not bad for keeping a camera safely in it?s original container overnight, less than 24 hours, and never even clicking it to see if it worked.

My Credit Card Company told me that this is the only store in town that has this fee. Staples does not, so from now on Staples will get my business. Happy New Year!

CONNIE SHARPE

1016 Avondale