Re: Mass ipv6 lookups

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 08:37:44PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > There was proposition of AI_ADDRCONFIG flag that would do lookup
> > only for locally supported protocol. getaddrinfo in USAGI supports it
> > (by checking return value of socket(familly,...)) , in cvs version
> > of glibc there is no such support.
>
> How about adding an option to /etc/resolv.conf ?

I think this would be the best approach.  This problem has come up
several times on a few different lists, and definitely should be
addressed once and for all.  It makes no sense to perform an expensive
DNS lookup for an IPv6 address when the host can't even speak IPv6.

OTOH, if the user specifically asks for an AAAA record (using dig or
host, for example), then this request needs to override any option in
resolv.conf.

In the changelog for getaddrinfo.c in FreeBSD's libc I found:
"The code filters out AFs that are not supported by the kernel".  I
haven't looked at the code, but this seems like it might be a prudent
solution.

noah

--
Noah Meyerhans
Computer Resource Services, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science