Re: ipv4 and ipv6 in /etc/hosts

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 09:15:44PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Carel Fellinger [mailto:carel.fellinger@chello.nl] wrote:
>
> > I search the net and the archive in vain to find whether ipv4 and ipv6
> > behave like seperate name spaces.  So now I join the list,
> > temporarely:)
>
> It are distinct namespaces but pointing to the same resources.

Great, just what I hoped for.

> > And the next question: what address range to use for the above schema?
> > Stick with the "::FFFF:" prefix for IPv4-Mapped addresses or switch to
> > the "::" prefix for IPv4-Compatible addresses.
>
> IPv4-mapped is in a stadium of being deprecated at the moment.
> ::192.168.1.1 is not valid, but ::ffff:192.168.1.1 is valid.
>
> Using IPv4 mapped addresses isn't encouraged.

My knowledge on the subject is thin as can be, but I thought I read
::192.168.1.1 to be an IPv4-Compatible address.  And this one being
invalid and the other depricated, I'm left wondering which to use:)

A little googling learned that I'm not alone in my confusion, and I
fail to find a definitive source to clear it up, and even then I'm
still wondering which definition you had in mind, so please help me:)

To clear me out, could you comment on the below four statements?

1) IPv4-Compatible is an ordinary IPv4 address, prefixed with zero's (::).

2) IPv4-Compatible is invalid?

3) IPv4-Mapped is an ordinary IPv4 address, prefixed with ::ffff.

4) IPv4-Mapped is almost depricated, i.e. the `on-the-wire' form at least.

--
groetjes, carel