Re: General support for IPv6 out of the box in Debian

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Pontus Lidman wrote:

> I noticed that there are now quite a lot of packages that have special
> IPv6 versions in Debian, but quite few have IPv6 in the mainstream
> packages. I think it would be better if the IPv6 support could be included
> in the debian diff to the upstream package, so we could get more
> IPv6-enabled programs in the main distribution.

I think most of the problem has to do with the original
author/creator/maintainer of the source:  "IPv6?  Why??  Just use IPv4!"

Where FreeBSD has succeeded is that it has a dedicated legion to...

> I guess the problem is that most maintainers don't have the possibility to
> keep the IPv6 parts updated or even test them properly. So wouldn't it be
> great if Debian could offer 6bone tunnels to all package maintainers?

...keep those IPv6 diffs up-to-date, plus those guys are savvy enough to
know quite a bit about the protocol.  If you're suggesting a script
package for Debian as a user option for connecting to the Freenet6 (the
6bone tunnel server) then that would be cool.  Has anyone created such a
"deb"?

> Since this hasn't been done already, I guess there must be problems? What
> problems are there?

I could list them (opinion only), but I'll see what the replies are
first...

> Pontus

wfms