Broken initrd image

Hi,

I'm running up-to-date Debian Lenny on my hp workstation zx6000. Today, initramfs-tools was updated and a new initrd image was created by the  update-initramfs script. Unfortunately, the generated initrd image segfaults and my system was unbootable. Using the backup copy of my previous initrd image, everything went fine.

I initially thought that the new initramfs-tools 0.90 was broken. But reverting to initramfs-tools 0.89 and generating again the initrd image didn't solve the problem. So, something has changed on my system that makes update-initramfs (being 0.89 or 0.90) produces unbootable initrd image. The verbose option doesn't show any problem.

Roughly one year ago, I experienced the same problem. But it was due to incorrect ldd binary. This doesn't seem to be the case this time, as the output of ldd /bin/dash is fine. By security, I've reinstalled all the gcc, cpp, glibc and libstdc++ related packages. Still unbootable initrd image though.

If it can help diagnose the problem, all the packages on my system are .deb packages coming from the Debian Lenny repository, except for the Intel development toolchain (C compiler, debugger, math kernel library, Intel performance primitive library).

Any idea?

Thanks,

   Émeric