build-id change breaks ia64 build too?

Hi Roland -

I was trying to build a 2.6.23-rc3 kernel on a Debian lenny ia64 system and encountered errors from ld complaining:

LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
ld: .tmp_vmlinux1: section `.text' can't be allocated in segment 0
ld: final link failed: Bad value

I found the same thing with -rc2 and -rc1.  2.6.22 and 2.6.22.2 build just fine.

I'd been using full source tars from kernel.org - some of my fellow HPers showed me how to use hg bisect and it came down to:

hpcpc105:~/linux-2.6# hg bisect bad
The first bad revision is:
changeset:   61977:dcc7333f1d21
user:        Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com>
date:        Thu Jul 19 10:04:48 2007 -0700
summary:     Use --build-id ld option

Since that spat-out your change I thought I'd ask you about it, if there was a fix etc etc :)

I also tried (or at least think I tried) the top of trunk (hg up) and the same error happened, so I guess this is still an oustanding issue.

FWIW, ld --version shows:

hpcpc105:~/linux-2.6# ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.17.50.20070804
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

sincerely,

rick jones