Re: Sharing back DDTP translations to Debian

On the « legal» side of things, there's an unfinished thread from last year about this on debian-legal :
I'm not a lawyer by any means, but I'd like to point out that in our specific case, if we had to translate those strings without any machine intervention, given the technical nature of the strings and their size, and given that we've made corrections whenever the machine was wrong, we wouldn't (and couldn't) translate it much differently.

That said, it's up for Debian Lawyer Cats to decide if accepting those is debian-ly and legally ok :-)

Pierre

2013/3/30 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>
Quoting Pierre Slamich (pierre.slamich@gmail.com):

> Launchpad Translations. Recently the Ubuntu French Translator team has
> adopted a process to translate the DDTP on a large scale (using Google
> machine suggestions that are then edited and validated manually by our
> reviewers).

I missed that point from the original mail, but it is likely that we
have to think twice before integrating translations originating from a
non-free resource.

Thanks to David who raised that point on IRC.