Re: Sharing back DDTP translations to Debian

Hey Christian and thanks for your answer,
I did subscribe, so no worries about CC-ing me.

2013/3/30 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>

So, well, let's assume that translation quality is here. I can have
doubts about this : when I was doing some DDTP work, I always found
that several French translators, and that's not specific to Ubuntu of
course, tend to contribute quite bad translations : full of geek
jargon, bad constructions, "spoken French" instead of the written
form, etc, etc.

On quality, we try to tighten the process as much as possible, and we have a policy of having a string validated by a team member, even if the suggestion originates from another team member (and we select team members quite tightly).
Given the sheer number of strings we're talking about, mistakes will happen though and that's why I proposed contributing back as suggestions or at least have them reviewed one or two more times Debian-side. Our methodology is to translate in a way that can be understood, using glossaire.traduc.org to standardize on proper translations, and sometimes taking creative licence to correct stuff that is not legible in the original version.

I think that you need to find a way to automate this, in some way. And
I'm afraid that someone has to do the job....and, no, we don't have
much documentation about that.

Thus, I assume that it's not as simple as importing our translations as FUZZY in a PO file, right ?

Some teams are doing automated work with the DDTP : they might be able
to help you out, here.

Which teams have undertaken such a process that we could try to contact ?
We're willing to write the script but would love technical pointers (thus the request for a point of contact to guide us).

Sincerely,
Pierre